77,000 Volkswagen cars in Australia had emissions masking devices

NULL

77,000 vehicles sold by Volkswagen in Australia had been fitted with devices designed to mask the level of emissions. The admission by the company’s Australian unit widens a global scandal engulfing the German automaker. The company has now set up a website for customers to see if their vehicles have the affected EA 189 diesel engines. The vehicles affected include almost 55,000 Volkswagen branded passenger cars, 17,000 commercial vehicles and 5,000 Skodas. Meanwhile, Volkswagen will begin recalling affected cars in January until the end of 2016, Chief Executive Matthias Mueller said in an interview with German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ).

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.