ADNOC Drilling awarded $733 million contract to build three island rigs

Supplied

ADNOC Drilling Company confirmed on Wednesday the award of an estimated total contract value of $733 million from ADNOC Offshore for three island drilling rigs in support of the growing operations at the offshore Zakum field.

The rigs will operate on existing and newly constructed artificial islands at the offshore Zakum field for drilling and completion of wells.

They will be designed and built as part of a partnership between ADNOC Drilling and Honghua Group (HH), constructed by HH, with delivery and commencement of operations expected during 2026.

The partnership has been specifically formed to harness the transformative nature of AI, digitisation, and advanced technology in the design and operation of these next generation drilling rigs. ADNOC Drilling and HH will look to also collaborate with AIQ, an Abu Dhabi based artificial intelligence (AI) pioneer contributing to the energy sector globally.

The design of the rig operating systems will look to utilise real-time condition, performance and utilisation data to create actionable insights, enhancing rig performance and increasing efficiency, leading to improvements in safety and well delivery times.

Additionally, drilling operations on ADNOC’s artificial islands create the ideal conditions for extended reach drilling (ERD), with the top five longest wells in the world being delivered from these islands off the coast of Abu Dhabi, the most recently delivered being over 52,000 feet.

The rigs will be built to deliver ERD as well as having the state-of-the-art capability of walking between wells eliminating the need for the rigs to be dismantled to be moved. These capabilities dramatically improve efficiency and safety while vastly reducing costs and emissions.

The total capital expenditure expected for the purchase of the new island rigs is approximately $210 million, mostly concentrated in 2025, with the first full-year revenue from the new rigs expected to be 2027. The full-year 2024 guidance of $200-250 million for the Island rig segment, which currently operates ten island rigs, is unchanged.

The ADNOC Drilling fleet is now expected to total at least 148 by 2026, including these three new rigs as well as the previously announced three land rigs for the initial phase of the unconventionals development.

Since the fourth quarter 2021, when the IPO took place, ADNOC Drilling has invested more than $2.2 billion in building one of the largest integrated drilling fleets in the world.

Abdulrahman Abdulla Al Seiari, Chief Executive Officer of ADNOC Drilling, said, “ADNOC Drilling is honoured to receive this substantial award, which marks a significant milestone in our company’s accelerated growth journey. These new island rigs will be the most advanced in the world, embracing artificial intelligence, the most transformative technology of our generation.

“Our partnership with Honghua Group will amplify the creativity and ingenuity of our industry as we design and build these rigs of the future that drive efficiency and safety and deliver exceptional value for our customer ADNOC Offshore.”

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.