After music streaming, TikTok now adds text posts feature

File image

TikTok, the Chinese-owned video streaming app, has announced the launch of text-only posts in a bid to ramp up the competition in the social media industry.

According to the platform, this new feature aims to provide users with "another way to express themselves," adding to the diverse options available for content creation.

Earlier this month, TikTok made headlines with the debut of its music streaming service, TikTok Music, positioning itself as a direct competitor to established platforms like Spotify and Apple Music.

With the latest update on TikTok, users now have three options to choose from when posting content on the app: photos, videos or text. The platform has ensured that text posts remain engaging and interactive by allowing users to customise their posts with sound, location tags and Duets, which are video reactions to other users' posts.

TikTok says the text posts can now be just as dynamic and engaging as video or photo content. The move comes shortly after TikTok's successful launch of TikTok Music in Brazil and Indonesia, and it is now expanding its music streaming service to Singapore, Mexico and Australia through a beta version.

A spokesperson for TikTok stated that this expansion would allow users to not only discover, listen and share music from the platform but also promote their favourite tracks and artists within their TikTok community.

The video streaming app is also testing other features, including a new landscape mode with select users globally, aiming to enhance user experience and further solidify its position as the world's most popular online destination. In 2021, TikTok garnered unprecedented success, surpassing major players like Google with its tremendous online traffic and reaching over one billion active users worldwide.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.