Bank of America to pay $100million to customers for 'unlawful practices'

Shutterstock

The US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has taken Bank of America to task for engaging in a series of illicit actions that erode customer trust.

While the bank stated that certain practices have already been terminated, it did not admit any wrongdoing. Bank of America has agreed to pay a total of $150 million in fines and provide $100 million in customer reimbursements.

According to CFPB Director Rohit Chopra, "Bank of America wrongfully withheld credit card rewards, charged excessive fees and opened accounts without customer consent."

The director also emphasised the agency's determination to eliminate such practices throughout the banking system. In early 2022, the CFPB announced its commitment to scrutinising hidden fees and harmful financial practices that hinder fair competition.

Chopra previously expressed his intent to put an end to the banking industry's reliance on what he termed "exploitative" revenue streams.

"As a result of Bank of America's actions, consumers incurred unjustified fees, experienced adverse effects on their credit profiles, and had to spend time rectifying errors," the CFPB explained.

The consent order states that opening new credit card accounts without customer consent violated the bank's policies and procedures and affected only a "small percentage" of new accounts.

Bank of America, "in the interest of compliance and resolution of the matter, and without admitting or denying any wrongdoing," has consented to the order, according to regulatory filings.

The bank has been found guilty of engaging in illicit practices such as charging repetitive fees for the same transaction, called double-dipping, withholding credit card and account opening rewards, and opening unauthorised accounts without users' consents. 

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.