Dubai sees significant drop in commercial complaints

iStock [For illustration]

Dubai recorded a 17 per cent decline in commercial complaints in 2021.

The drop in business-to-business disputes was driven by the implementation of a series of measures to enhance ease of doing business and enhance confidence among merchants in the emirate.

All commercial complaints submitted last year came through smart channels, indicating a strong preference among businesses for engaging digitally with government authorities in Dubai.

The Commercial Compliance & Consumer Protection (CCCP) Sector in the Department of Economy and Tourism (DET) received 414 commercial complaints in 2021, compared to 500 in 2020.

Ninety-one per cent of the complaints were filed through the DET website - consumerrights.ae - and the remaining 9 per cent on the ‘Dubai Consumer’ app.

"Any business, irrespective of whether they operate in or outside the UAE, can approach us if they have a dispute with a merchant in Dubai. Businesses globally will feel more confident about Dubai when we protect their rights and enable them to grow sustainably, especially at a time when the emirate is becoming increasingly connected with international markets," said Mohammed Ali Rashed Lootah, CEO of CCCP.

The CCCP issued a ‘Commercial Compliance Manual’ in 2019 explaining the most important points a trader should focus on to avoid interruption and violations.

The business community can refer to the directory, available in Arabic and English, by visiting the Consumerrights.ae website.

The services sector accounted for the majority (31.6%) of the commercial complaints received in 2021, followed by the building materials (18.8%), foodstuff (13.8%), decoration & construction (12.6%), accessories (5.8%), electronics (5.8%), shipping (5.6%), furniture (1.5%) and cars (1.5%) sectors.

The remaining came from sectors such as equipment rental, labour supply, car rental, document clearance and transportation.

Non-compliance with the agreement terms was the cause of more than 61 per cent of the complaints, while commercial fraud (19.32%), after-sales service (6.28%), unauthorised activity (5.8%), non-compliance with specifications and standards (3.4%), and failure to comply with warranty terms (2.4%) were the other leading complaints.

Additional fees on a service/product and shop policies inconsistent with the law were also found to have led to disputes.

Merchants can file their complaints relating to services provided by commercial establishments in Dubai, along with the necessary documents and evidence, through the Consumerrights.ae website or through the ‘Dubai Consumer’ app.

If the complainant is from outside the UAE, the documents must be certified by the competent authorities in their respective countries.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.