Ferrari IPO said to be oversubscribed ahead of New York listing

NULL

Ferrari NV’s initial public offering (IPO) is oversubscribed throughout its price range as investor interest in the supercar-maker outstrips the shares available, people familiar with the matter said. Investors had indicated to bankers last week before the sale began that demand would far exceed the available number of shares, and those predictions have been borne out, said the people, who asked not to be named because the process is private. The books close on Monday at 4 p.m. in all regions, two of the people said. The interest in Ferrari comes as investors have shied away from other IPOs. Three U.S. offerings faltered within about a week this month, as Digicel Group Ltd. canceled a sale, First Data Corp. priced shares below a marketed range and Albertsons Cos. postponed its offering. The share sale, which has been in the works for about a year, is critical to help Fiat Chrysler finance a 48 billion-euro ($54.6 billion) investment program focused on expanding the Jeep, Alfa Romeo and Maserati nameplates globally. Chairman Sergio Marchionne, also chief executive officer of parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, has taken both companies’ stories on the road in London, New York and Ferrari’s home in Maranello, Italy. Final pricing is expected late Tuesday, with trading due to start on Wednesday, the people said. Ferrari plans to sell as many as 18.89 million shares, 10% of the company, at $48 to $52 each, according to an October 9 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The shares will trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol RACE. The company declined to comment on the IPO process. The public listing will raise more than $4 billion for Fiat Chrysler, thanks to additional cash the Italian-American manufacturer will squeeze out of Ferrari before spinning it off completely early next year. Including debt Ferrari will take on from Fiat, the company will have an enterprise value of about $12 billion. Fiat Chrysler is keeping the share volume in the IPO limited to ensure robust demand, just as Ferrari boosts its own product allure by capping the number of cars it makes. After the share sale, Fiat Chrysler then plans to distribute its remaining 80% Ferrari holding to its own investors early next year. Piero Ferrari, the son of the brand’s founder, will retain his 10% holding.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.