FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried denied release ahead of fraud trial

File picture

Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of FTX cryptocurrency exchange, faced a setback on Tuesday as his bid for release from jail to better prepare for his upcoming October 3 trial on fraud charges was denied, according to a court filing.

He had argued that the conditions of his confinement at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Center hindered his ability to thoroughly review the evidence presented by prosecutors and assist his legal team in constructing a robust defence.

However, US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, situated in Manhattan, issued a written ruling rejecting Bankman-Fried's plea, noting he had not specified which pieces of evidence he had been unable to access. Additionally, Judge Kaplan revealed that Bankman-Fried had not requested a trial delay, despite the judge's willingness to consider such a request.

The judge did express a willingness to entertain a more comprehensive application for release at a later date.

The 31-year-old was incarcerated on August 11 after allegations that he had tampered with witnesses on at least two occasions. One instance involved Bankman-Fried sharing the personal writings of Caroline Ellison, his former romantic partner and colleague, with a reporter from The New York Times. Ellison, who previously served as the CEO of Bankman-Fried's Alameda Research hedge fund, has pleaded guilty to fraud charges related to the collapse of FTX and Alameda in November 2022. She is expected to provide testimony against Bankman-Fried during his trial.

Bankman-Fried has maintained that he shared the documents with the intention of safeguarding his reputation, rather than intimidating Ellison. He has separately appealed Judge Kaplan's detention order. A three-judge panel from the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals is scheduled to hear arguments in this case on September 19.

Federal prosecutors in Manhattan have alleged that Bankman-Fried misappropriated billions of dollars in customer funds from FTX to cover losses at Alameda, make real estate investments, and contribute to US political campaigns in an effort to bolster his influence in Washington.

Bankman-Fried has entered a plea of not guilty to these charges. While acknowledging shortcomings in risk management at FTX, he vehemently denies any wrongdoing in relation to the alleged theft of funds.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.