HSBC considers $300b cost-cutting plan

File picture

HSBC CEO Georges Elhedery is weighing cost-cutting measures that could save up to $300 million (AED 1.1 billion) by reducing top management layers, the Financial Times reported on Thursday.

The plan comes at a time when the lender is considering a merger of its commercial and investment banking units, the FT report said.

The merger will likely reduce top management layers, affecting senior people and some of the larger roles, the FT reported, with an announcement expected by the end of October.

HSBC is the largest lender in Europe, employing about 214,000 people globally. It has been stripping out duplicated roles for years to streamline management ranks and reduce costs.

The reported $300 million (AED 1.1 billion) in savings would be a fraction of group costs that reached $16.3 billion (59 billion) in the first six months this year, five per cent higher than in the same period a year ago.

Climbing costs at HSBC have added to growing investor concern about how big banks manage their expenses, putting executives under pressure to address spending.

Last month, Bloomberg reported that HSBC was weighing the combination of its commercial and investment banking divisions to eliminate overlapping roles to cut costs.

HSBC has also in recent years slashed its businesses in Western markets such as the United States, France and Canada as it focuses on Asia and markets where it has scale.

More from Business

  • EU seeks unity in first strike back at Trump tariffs

    European Union countries will seek to present a united front in the coming days against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs, likely approving a first set of targeted countermeasures on up to $28 billion of U.S. imports from dental floss to diamonds.

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).