McDonald's reportedly preparing for layoffs, shuts US offices temporarily

File picture

Fast-food giant McDonald’s has temporarily closed all its US offices as it prepares to inform its corporate employees about an upcoming round of layoffs. 

According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, the company sent an email to US employees last week, asking them to work from home from Monday to Wednesday so that it could deliver the news of the layoffs virtually. It remains unclear how many employees will be affected by the job cuts.

In January, McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski had warned employees that “difficult discussions and decisions” were on the horizon, as part of the company's updated business strategy, Accelerating the Arches 2.0. This included a reshuffling of positions to increase efficiency and innovation and to cut costs.

McDonald’s will also accelerate the pace of its restaurant openings as part of its updated plans. It may also test more new concepts aimed at customer convenience, such as the Order Ahead Lane at a recently-opened location in Forth Worth, Texas.

While the fast-food chain’s shares closed on a record high on Thursday, March 30, as reported by financial author and Seeking Alpha contributor David Zanoni, layoffs are expected to be announced by Wednesday. With job cuts rising as companies try to counter a global economic slowdown and soaring inflation, several tech giants, including Google, Amazon and Facebook, have already scaled down their operations recently.

At the end of 2021, McDonald’s had just over 40,000 restaurants globally, with more than 13,000 US locations, according to its most recent annual report. The company has not yet released a statement on the layoffs.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.