Musk faces class action lawsuit for unpaid severance of $500 million

Shutterstock

A former top executive in the human resources department of Twitter has filed a class-action lawsuit against the company, accusing them of withholding approximately $500 million in severance pay owed to former employees.

Courtney McMillian, who previously held the position of "head of total rewards" at the popular social media platform, made these claims in the lawsuit.

Her complaint suggests that Twitter owner Elon Musk was aware of the severance plan before terminating thousands of employees but hesitated due to the associated expenses.

This lawsuit marks the latest in a series of legal actions against the company following the extensive layoffs that transpired after Musk's acquisition of Twitter for $44 billion last year.

According to the lawsuit, the workforce reductions affected approximately 6,000 individuals. The complaint further details that, as per Twitter's severance plan, employees were entitled to a minimum of two months' worth of base salary as severance pay, along with a cash contribution towards health insurance and other benefits. The complaint, which was filed in federal court in San Francisco, asserts that individuals in more senior roles, including McMillian herself, were entitled to six months' worth of base salary as severance pay, in addition to one week for each full year of experience.

However, upon termination, employees received no more than three months of pay. This included one month of severance pay, alongside an additional two months of compensation to comply with a US labour law requiring employers to provide advance notice of layoffs. The lawsuit claims that this sum was only a small fraction of the $500 million owed to the employees under the severance plan.

In November, following a round of extensive layoffs, Musk stated that employees would receive three months' worth of pay, which he stated was "50 per cent more than legally required."

The lawsuit accuses Musk of misleading employees by creating the impression that the company would honour the severance plan, leading some employees to remain with the firm longer than they would have otherwise.

Kate Mueting, the lawyer representing McMillian from Sanford Heisler Sharp, remarked, "Musk initially assured employees that under his leadership, Twitter would continue to uphold the severance plan. He apparently made these promises knowing that they were necessary to prevent mass resignations that would have threatened the viability of the merger and the vitality of Twitter itself."

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.