Philippine phone giant spending record amount to boost data use

Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. will keep capital spending at a record level next year as the nation’s biggest carrier tries to fend off an aggressive domestic rival and prepares for the potential entry of Telstra Corp. PLDT will allocate 43 billion pesos ($915 million) to expand and improve its network after allotting that amount this year, Chairman Manuel Pangilinan said in an interview in Manila. PLDT, heading for a third year of declining profit, may announce more changes in coming weeks after losing almost 3 million mobile-phone subscribers this year. The company may appoint a chief executive for its digital operations and is reviewing whether to eliminate one of three mobile brands. PLDT started an overhaul in May, adding a chief strategy officer and chief technology adviser, after revenue fell for the first time in 13 quarters. “To some degree, we fell into that trap of complacency because we were the incumbent,” Pangilinan said in the Nov. 18 interview. “So it’s a lesson for us.” Pangilinan blamed himself for PLDT’s slow response to apps that allow free calls over the Internet. “I don’t pretend to be a digital native,” he said. Globe, Telstra Globe Telecom Inc., a venture of Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. and Ayala Corp., was quicker to exploit that shift by bundling traditional services with free Facebook access in October 2013. It took more than a year for PLDT to counter with free mobile Internet access. Adding to PLDT’s woes is Telstra, which is in talks with San Miguel Corp. for a Philippine venture, Telstra Chief Executive Officer Andy Penn said last month. Pangilinan said the recent challenges were his toughest since a 1998 takeover of the nation’s biggest phone company. “The nature of the industry is changing and as we shift to digital from legacy, the margins are lower and the cost is higher,” Pangilinan said. “It’s a more complicated landscape.” PLDT’s nine-month profit fell about 9 percent from a year earlier, while Globe’s jumped 34 percent. PLDT’s mobile-phone users as of Sept. 30 fell by 2 million from a year earlier to 67 million. Globe added 7.3 million in the same period for 50.1 million total. Being ‘Underdog’ PLDT wants to add more apps, including in finance and personal loans, while boosting content through products like iFlix, a video-streaming service. PLDT handles about a third of the estimated 300 billion-peso domestic remittance business and is the largest enabler of the government’s 16 billion-peso conditional cash transfers to the poor, Pangilinan said. Its mobile-lending venture has extended 6 billion pesos in loans. The carrier plans to trim expenses, contain debt at current levels and refinance part of its maturing obligations, Pangilinan said. PLDT has almost 60 billion pesos of debt due from 2016 through 2018, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Its dividend payment, which in 2014 dropped to 90 percent of profit from 100 percent in 2007 to 2013, may further decline amid the challenges, he said. “Sometimes it’s better to be the underdog, better to be the barbarians knocking at the gate, rather than being the gatekeepers themselves,” Pangilinan said. (By Ian Sayson, Cecilia Yap and Clarissa Batino/Bloomberg)

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.