Russia and Iran link banking systems to evade sanctions

Thursday, 14 November 2024 07:05

By ARN News Staff with Agencies

via X

Iranian bank cards can now be used in Russia, after the two countries linked their banking systems to evade sanction, state broadcaster IRINN reported.

Iranian banks have been removed from the SWIFT international financial messaging service since 2018, as Donald Trump re-imposed sanctions after withdrawing the 2015 nuclear deal.

Iran’s interbank network Shetab has been linked to its Russian equivalent Mir, the channel said.

Russians will also be able to use their bank cards in Iran, IRINN said, without specifying when.

“The plan is also going to be implemented in other countries that have a wide range of financial and social interactions with Iran, for example Iraq, Afghanistan and Turkey,” it said.

Russia has faced mounting sanctions since it invaded neighbouring Ukraine in 2022, resulting in the country seeking closer ties with Iran.

Iran and Russia signed a deal to strengthen mutual banking in June.

Under BRICS, Russia has been calling for the creation of an alternative international banking system than SWIFT. So far, tangible developments in that area have not come to fruition.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.