Tesla's investor day falls short on specifics, stock falls 5%

File picture

Tesla Inc. faced a 5 per cent decline in its shares during extended trading on Wednesday after a highly anticipated investor event in Texas that teased a "next generation" electric-vehicle platform. 

Although the event was filled with plenty of talk about electrification and sustainability, the automaker stopped short of revealing many details about the new platform.

During the four-hour presentation, CEO Elon Musk sidestepped questions regarding the new vehicles’ performance, prototype timeline, looks and whether production would start at an existing factory before moving to its future Mexico factory.

"We will have a proper sort of product event, but it would be jumping the gun if we answer your questions [now]," Musk said, before requesting other questions from the mostly Wall Street audience.

Tesla's stock had advanced right after the closing bell, having gone down 1.4 per cent at the end of the regular trading day. However, the stock saw losses mount as the event in Austin progressed.

Tesla executives announced that they had to "fully rethink" the manufacturing process to make electric vehicles faster and more cheaply, with a smaller powertrain and lighter weight. The company promised a more affordable next-generation EV platform, which could be the base for more than one vehicle.

"Probably the most exciting announcement of the day is that we’re going to be building a gigafactory in Mexico," Musk said at the beginning of the Q&A session after the scheduled presentation. The next-generation vehicles would be made there.

Despite the positive announcements, investors seemed disappointed by the lack of concrete information on the new platform. Edmunds’ Jessica Caldwell commented in an email that "Musk’s clear path to a sustainable-energy Earth is admirable, but investors may have preferred if Tesla outlined a clear path toward sustainable profits in a high-growth market".

Around a year ago, Musk had tweeted that a new master plan was in the pipeline. In March 2016, “Master Plan 2” was released which promised many things, but on the whole, failed to deliver, especially Musk's hopes for self-driving cars and car sharing. The first so-called master plan, from 2006, shared Tesla’s vision of a sports car, which would form the basis for funding for future affordable EVs. 

The investor day event took place as Tesla’s stock rebounded to the $200 level since trading as low as $109.10 in late December. The stock has surged 64 per cent in the quarter so far, though it is down 30 per cent over the past 12 months. That compares with a decline of about 8 per cent for the S&P 500 index SPX, -0.47 per cent in the past 12 months and contrasts with a quarterly advance by that stock-market benchmark of around 3 per cent.

Tesla reported mixed fourth-quarter results in late January, with revenue slightly below Wall Street expectations but injected some optimism in its production outlook for 2023 and promised to rein in costs faster. Musk also assured investors that demand for Tesla’s EVs was not a concern.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.