UAE sticks with planned OPEC target even as others cut more

After three fellow members of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) said they are cutting production more than required by last year’s deal, the United Arab Emirates is sticking to the original plan. The UAE doesn’t intend to reduce output more than was agreed with OPEC in November, Energy Minister Suhail Al Mazrouei said in an interview with Bloomberg television in Abu Dhabi. The country pledged to curtail production by 139,000 barrels a day to just over 3 million a day, its contribution to an OPEC agreement announced on November 30. The UAE’s fellow Gulf-based OPEC nations Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, as well as Algeria, said on Thursday they were making bigger production curbs this month than they agreed to in November. Russia, one of 11 non-members that subsequently joined the agreement, also said it had cut more in early January than originally planned. Global oil markets will re-balance in the summer as the coordinated output curbs by OPEC and its partners gradually deplete “historically high” inventory levels, Mazrouei said. Recovering supplies from Nigeria and Libya, the OPEC nations exempted from having to make cuts, are unlikely to return quickly enough to threaten the re-balancing process, he added. “I am not worried that that capacity is going to be rounded up very quickly,” Mazrouei said. (Yousef Gamal El-Din, Mahmoud Habboush and Nayla Razzouk/Bloomberg) (With assistance from Grant Smith, Anthony DiPaola and Desley Humphrey)

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.