UK’s Daily Mail considering bid for Yahoo, WSJ reports

The parent company of the UK’s Daily Mail is in talks with private-equity firms about a possible bid for Yahoo! Inc., the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unidentified people familiar with the discussions. The potential offer could take one of two forms, the Journal reported. In the first, a private-equity partner would acquire Yahoo’s main web business while the Mail would take over the media and news properties; in the second, a PE firm could acquire Yahoo’s Internet business and form a new company by merging its media and news properties with the Mail’s online operations, the Journal said, citing the people. Yahoo said it would explore strategic alternatives, including selling its main Internet operations, earlier this year after scrapping a plan to spin off its stake in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. Yahoo is said to have set an April 18 deadline for bids. Bloomberg News reported April 8 that Verizon Communications Inc. plans to bid for Yahoo’s Web business and is willing to acquire the company’s Yahoo Japan Corp. stake to sweeten the deal, according to people familiar with the matter. (By Andrew Pollack/Bloomberg)

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.