US safety commissioners call for investigation into Shein, Temu

FILE PHOTO

Two leaders of the US Consumer Products Safety Commission called for the agency to investigate e-commerce retailers Shein and Temu after "deadly baby and toddler products" were sold on both websites, according to a letter posted on the US CPSC website.

US CPSC Commissioners Peter Feldman and Douglas Dziak want the agency to evaluate how Singapore's Shein, China's Temu and other foreign-owned e-commerce platforms comply with its rules, handle relationships with third-party sellers and represent imported products.

Shein and PDD Group's Temu, which both ship cheap merchandise into the US from China, are raising "specific concerns" for the Commission for their use of de minimis, a rule exempting packages valued at $800 (AED 3,000) or less from tariffs if they are sent directly to shoppers.

Critics of Shein and Temu attribute low prices and de minimis to Shein and Temu's success in the US. Both companies have also come under scrutiny for the quality of their products.

A bipartisan group of US lawmakers last year planned to introduce a bill to eliminate the de minimis, which is widely used by e-commerce platforms including third-party sellers on Amazon.com and Walmart.com. 

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.