X accused of delaying access to links from social media rivals

File picture

Social media channel X has been accused of intentionally delaying access to links from Reuters and The New York Times, as well as its competitors including Bluesky, Facebook and Instagram. 

That's according to a recent report from The Washington Post on Tuesday, which sparked concerns about potential content manipulation.

Upon clicking a link on X leading to the aforementioned websites, users were confronted with an approximate five-second delay before the webpages loaded.

Similar trials conducted by Reuters substantiated the existence of this delay.

However, by late Tuesday afternoon, X appeared to have resolved the delay issue. While acknowledging the removal of the delay, X refrained from offering any further details on the matter.

Elon Musk, the billionaire who acquired Twitter in October, has previously expressed strong disapproval towards news organisations and journalists critiquing his ventures, which encompass Tesla and SpaceX. It's noteworthy that Twitter has previously imposed restrictions on users sharing links to competing social media platforms. 

Earlier on Tuesday, a user on the tech-focused forum Hacker News disclosed that X had commenced delaying links to The New York Times from August 4. This revelation coincided with Musk's condemnation of the publication's portrayal of South Africa, accusing it of advocating for genocide. The New York Times revealed they haven't received any clarification from X regarding the link delay.

In response to these allegations, a spokesperson from The New York Times conveyed, "Though the motive behind implementing this delay remains unclear, we express apprehension over potential selective influence exerted on any news organisation without transparent motives."

This statement was made on Tuesday, highlighting the news organisation's concerns regarding any potential manipulation of information dissemination.

Similarly, a spokesperson from Reuters commented, "We have noted The Washington Post's report on the delay experienced while opening links to Reuters articles on X. We are actively investigating the matter."

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.